Rhine Falls, Switzerland

January 21, 2008

January 21





Today is my least favorite day of the whole year. It happened to be Martin Luther King Jr Day the day Mike died also. It has been 6 long years. On one hand it feels like yesterday but so much has happened since then. This isn't really a day we celebrate. We had planned on doing something together as a family since the kids were out of school, but the weather kind of changed that.

Corey wanted to go skiing and headed to the resort but they didn't make it because there was an avalanche and the road was blocked.

I had a dentist appointment to get a tooth pulled. Erika went with me. We left early because it dumped snow last night and was still snowing when we left. Some areas in the valley got over a foot of snow. The dentist numbed me up and I had the nitrous oxide and my ipod really loud - it didn't work. He pulled on it a few times and numbed me more and more. He just couldn't get it numb enough to pull. So, now it hurts even worse and I will have to get an appointment with an oral surgeon. Hopefully they can fit me in soon.

Colton wasn't happy with me because he didn't get to go snowboarding - he is still grounded from the resort. He has been out in the gully behind our house all day working on building up jumps and snowboarding as much as he can.

I went on a date with Erika right after the dentist. We went to see a movie, we had fun together. I spent the rest of the day under my electric blanket... I hate snow and I was not going to clean house today.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Everyone liked Mike, he was just that kind of guy. What do I miss most about him?
I really miss his smile that was only for me.
It makes me sad that he isn't here to see the kids growing up and that he can't be here to back me up with them. It is very hard without an enforcer. I think they would be different kids if their Dad were here. There are just a lot of things I miss.

I know a lot of people are looking at this blog, so let's hear from you leave me a comment!!

What do you miss about Mike?

12 comments:

Hillary said...

Didn't know him, but he sounds like one of a kind! I hope i find love someday like you guys had. Sucks about the dentist issue. Who do you go to? My brother does sedation dentistry (just take a PO Benzo before you come in- must get a ride of course :) You should try that. I had a really painful gum graft with it and it was awesome. Yvonne did it recently too, and she said, "that was the best experience I've ever had at the dentist."

Anonymous said...

Mike was very likeable! I miss watching the two of you together. You were so cute--both playful and loving. It is funny that you say he was the enforcer. I got that feeling from watching you two. It must have been the cop in him.

Sorry about the dentist troubles. I hate going, but I finally got my insurance to pay 100%, so I go every 6 months. They know to call me with an appointment date and time and I just take it. Otherwise, I would stall like crazy and never go!

Hugs, Paula. I know this month has been rough. Just keep taking it one day at a time.

Anonymous said...

I miss the sense of humor....he was the only one who never got mad at me for my mouth and dumb jokes, at least he'd never let me know it. He usually laughed. I don't know what else to say, I never have been able to find the words....

Anonymous said...

i miss his chuckle and the big storm trooper hugs i would get from him,i was always able to talk to him and i feel when he left us i lost my best friend. i know how you feel but always remember he is up there looking through the windows of heaven watching over us and i believe he can see the children growing up too. maybe you all would be different but your pain will give you the strength to keep your focus on the day you will see mike again. he would be proud of you paula just remember that. january 21st will always be hard but we must be strong mike would want that. so glad you made it through you dental appt. you are a trooper. mike's mom

Anonymous said...

Well I guess better late then never. What I miss about Mike. Well just about everything, Mike fit into my family of men and gave me a daughter, a grandson and 2 granddaughters. I believe Mike was one of most honest people I'd ever known, He was so true to himself and with everyone whos life he touched. I always wanted to thank him for just being Mike. I really loved him, always will and I'm grateful for the family he left to me.
I know no one misses him the way my Girl does, but she has all of us when ever and where ever she needs us. I miss her and the kids so much, it would be nice if we were just a door way apart. Take Care my sweetie. Love ya Judy

Anonymous said...

What I miss about Mike is his sense of committment. Did I spell that right? Anything that he was asked to do, he was committed to do it the very best he could. I also loved the way he interacted with the youth and they loved him.

Maria

Unknown said...

I miss having my brother around to keep me in line...I probably would have graduated college in a timely manner :) I also miss the way he was able to talk to anyone...no matter what background, he could relate. I can't wait to be able to tell Caden about how he would have had the best uncle a kid could have had. We are very blessed that Caden has an Aunt and 3 beautiful cousins (that look a little like Mike).

Anonymous said...

i believe mike and i were denied the time to really develope a full relationship but i feel he was comfortable that his mom and i were together and that stacey was alright here too. i feel like had i gotten to know him better we could have done things or gone places together and had a good relationship. i do miss him saying no one could pick out steaks like carl and seeing him at xmas opening his gifts just like a little boy. Carl

Anonymous said...

Mike had a way that was subtle,not loud but totally firm and directed!If the situation changed at a pace unsuitable to him,the volume would increase.Usually went like this ...."COLTON" and like magic things would then start to changing.His Son doing what "Dad" or"mom" had asked him to do!!Now that I think about it Never heard Mike yell at Paula or the girls.He is an example of so many things We pray our loved ones are,or will become.Mike Burch,Made good choices in his short life.Mikes word was Good!His word is still good!!!!Mike and Paula Burch are well respected.They are outstanding Parents!! Mike is missed!Uncle David

Unknown said...

You know how much I loved Mike--he loved and appreciated and was good to my daughter and three grandkids. He liked to come to our house and have family dinners and he appreciated things I cooked. He always gave me a hug when he came in. I was proud of Mike for the things he accomplished in his life and in the church. He was special and so are you, Paula, and the kids, too. He knows what is going on--he's watching. He's waiting. Love you, Mom

PAULA said...

Thanks for all your great comments and memories about Mike. It is cool to hear what different people miss, because he had such great relationships with everyone. I know it may seem a little weird but it has really helped. I know I'm not the only one that misses him and sometimes it is nice to actually HEAR it from everyone else. Even though it makes me cry!

Anonymous said...

I miss making chili for Mike. I miss being able to see and talk to him about the things we were experiencing. I miss his smile, his love for life and his friendship. I little bit of me died that day to and I know you understand, paula.
He was a fine man and he cared about us. I just wish we closer, I feel like I'm letting him down, because he asked me to look after you and the kids. I hope in his way he knows I try.
I love you all and miss my popscicle girl.
carolyn